Sunday, January 8, 2012

Memories of Granny

My granny was a special lady. I was her favorite and I knew it, but she would never own up to it if asked. However when she made her children something she would make one for me as well. Once she made my uncles  their wives, my aunt, her husband, my mom and dad ponchos for Christmas. I was the only grand-kid that got one, it was like my "Coat of Many Colors".  I was so proud. I remember her telling me, "now Sissy, don't go showing off, I don't want them others mad at me." I loved my poncho. And if I remember correctly I was a little bit of a turd because I did do some boasting but I tried not to make a big deal... I never rubbed it in or did the "I got one and you didn't". It was just the fact that my awesome Granny made me one just like the adults. I was special.
I spent hours and hours with my Granny. I would take every opportunity to escape to "Granny and Gram-pa's" house. During the summer months I spent what seemed like the entire summer hanging out with Granny, going fishing, going to visit her sister Aunt Gladys, attending funerals or nursing an ailing family member. I loved going with her to visit her sister because once we left Salisaw and started driving through the hills on our way to Nicut the stories would begin. We would pass the rolling meadows, "That's where your Granny would leap over the fences like a gazelle" or "See that creek there, and those old sheds... that's where your Gram-pa lived". The stories would often be animated with am "O Dad!" from Granny.
My granny and gram-pa, they had come so far, yet if you listened to them they really never left "the hills". When my granny greeted you it was with an exuberant  "Howdy Howdy Howdy" She was such a friendly sort. She was also one who sized you up right fast. Some she trusted and others she'd tell me "that one would stab you in the back and smile at cha' while doin' it." I don't recall her telling me that particular phrase but two times. I don't recall exactly who she was talking about but I remember she was talking about a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment