Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Daddy's Momma

One of my earliest memories had to do with my Granny.
My Daddy was a cross country truck driver. He would be going for weeks at a time. At the same time he would be home for a solid week as well once in a while. We lived in a small 3 bedroom cement block house about 2 miles from Granny and Gram-pa's house.
One evening after daddy had been on the road for several days, he came home, Mom, my brother, and I hugged and kissed him and showered love all over him. My brother was really little. I don't think he was talking yet. My memory jumps around a little but I remember Daddy standing at the door with his hand on the handle telling my mom... "I'm goin' to Momma's". I knew exactly where he was going, he was on his way to Granny's house. I recall that I bounded to the door, with my bouncing Shirley Temple curls, wrapped my pajama covered arms around his legs and pleaded. "I want to go to Momma's house!"
Daddy chuckled and looked at Mom, shaking his head, now I that I look back I imagine he was shaking his head in disbelief that I was so passionately determined to go with him. He and my mom laughed, and acquiescented to my plea and mom said, "You need to get a coat on". Daddy reached down and popped me up to his arms and I hugged his neck as tight as I could. Mom brought my coat and I slipped one arm at a time into the sleeves always maintaining a grip around daddy's neck to make sure he wouldn't forget me. Mom kissed us both goodbye, her and daddy always shared a sloppy kiss. I remember that it always made mom smile and of course my daddy would have a Cheshire grin on his face as he walked away.
I don't remember the ride to Granny and Grampa's but I know it was dark and I remember daddy carried me. I hung onto him like a monkey. Granny and Grampa were joyed to see daddy and granny was "tickled pink" to see me. The room was dark the lights back then did not provide great lighting. The were watching a ballgame. Grampa was in his lounge chair with the foot rest kicked out and Granny was sitting on the couch drinking her iced tea in a mason jar. They both had a "Lucky Strike" lit so the smoke was circling their heads.
I ran and hugged my granny and she squeezed me tight. I Loved my Granny so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment