Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dealing with Drama

My job requires me to work with over a hundred people who in some ways are like volunteers. Election Officials get paid but the amount of money they get paid for the job they have to do is ~ well ~ a penitence. So I make sure that they are treated with respect, and honor. I need them, we all need them if we want the Election Process to work.
Some may not realize the impact that the re-districting has had on the county. It has been extensive. Precinct lines throughout the county have had major changes. This means some voters, who have been voting at the same location for over 30 years will change polling locations. The backlash in all of these changes includes the addition of 10 new polling places and the loss of 3. We've gone from 33 precincts to 36. Many of the lines that had to be re-drawn pushed some polling places out, which demanded that new ones be located. This has made it so some of the Election Officials are re-located. This fact alone is what is causing what I consider worse that teen-aged drama. I'm getting phone calls from some that express... "If I can't work at this location with these people None of us will work!" ??? Really?
I am in a difficult place. I have 45 new officials that need to be placed with seasoned officials in order to learn the ropes. Only no one wants to help. This has got to be the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with. I am having to constantly smooth ruffled feathers because I need these people. I have an election on the horizon and larger elections looming. Ugh!
If I had to bend your ear to explain everything that has been transpiring during the last few months it would take several hours for me to explain. Craziness does not even come close to describing this situation.
Have no fear, this will get done. I trust God to open the doors that I need.
I am still smiling, I only hope that my smile will continue when the next time I hear "If I can't have it my way then I won't work". Every time I hear that attitude I feel like I am listening to Nellie Olsen from Little House on the Prairie.   That helps me keep my smile but for a second I want to get all up in their face and say "FINE!" I would never do that and as soon as the thought appears, God squelches it and reminds my spirit that my goal in life is to reflect Him.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. "If we can't work together none of us will work." Are you sure they're not unionized?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha... never thought of it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete