Friday, January 13, 2012

"Bulling-Up"

Every day that goes by something is reminding me of my Granny. Today it was one of my election officials who reminded me of an attitude my Granny would get sometimes she called "Bulling-Up".
It's a look that reflects the inner attitude on a particular subject or life at hand. The eyes are narrowed, eyebrows are strait, lips are pursed, and arms are generally folded across the chest tightly. Even when speaking the "Bulling-up" person will have short clipped answers, and will top them off with a stiff smile. You know the one, the smile that if they bent their lips just the slightest bit north their whole face would crack. So instead they cock their head to the side, and angle one corner ever so slightly towards the sky.
It has been a crazy week, the 15K mailing that had to happen because of the redistricting containing new voter ID cards hit mail boxes yesterday, people are calling by the minute either wanting to verify or complain about their relocation, construction of the parking lot behind our building and the lack of parking available for my Officials, the mock election, training for Election Officials, and the hype from the New Hampshire primary causing more people to come in to register, not to mention that we have these new election machines that were not working on Monday... Crazy Busy is the only way to describe the near insanity that I've been feeling.
So today, was the last day of the mock election. It was also the third and last day where my election officials where practicing on the new election machines. Every 3 hours 3 to 4 teams consisting of 3-4 people each came to the Election Board. Each team was there to learn the new election machines and get to practice until they felt comfortable. (Believe me the last thing any of us want are our election officials not to feel comfortable with these machines on election day.) Each session I would talk to the officials making sure they felt comfortable and to explain some of the changes that have been taking place in the State and also in the County concerning the Election Board. Needless to say they all agreed that we were hit with many more changes than any of us expected. (except me... I'm a Murphy's Law kind of Girl. I've learned where I'm concerned if something is going to go wrong or get more complicated it'll happen to me).
During the last session today I had 8 Officials, two teams. During all the other sessions they all greeted me with smiles, real smiles the kind that is reflected in the eyes. This session there was one lady who had that "Bulled-up" look that my Granny would get sometimes when she was not happy about a situation. (I'm trying to be polite here... she was really really not a happy camper when she had that look). I began my spill to the group ~ all the time glancing at the one who I knew was not happy. I then began to look at it as a challenge to break down that barrier, she seemed to have built before she ever arrived. I crossed my arms tightly across my chest each time I turned my body towards her, still speaking in my light gregarious voice smiling with my eyes. When I would turn away from her I would uncross my arms and begin to speak with my hands moving like an Italian. (bad habit on my part). About the 4th time I released my arms while facing her and she released hers. I went on to speak for another 3 or 4 minutes then I got her to smile, a real smile that reflected in her eyes. I set them out to do their practice session and I actually heard her laugh. We broke down some of the animosity she was feeling towards us because of her precinct moving to another location. When the session was over my assistant talked to her and was able to calm her fears even more. We had a win/win situation. Love it when that happens. To top off the day I was reminded that we are closed on Monday! YEA! I'm ready for a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment