Thursday, June 7, 2012

Haunting Fears After 30 Years


Sometimes you have a bad experience at a young age and it traumatizes you, even 30 years later as an adult. It becomes a dark sinister place that makes you start to cry at just the mention of its name. The very thought that you might have to revisit that episode in your life can send you into a panic attack. Night-terrors haut your dreams when the topic comes up in conversation. Your body begins to tremble just because you know of someone else planning to visit place of your worst fear.

I guess you must be wondering what in the world traumatized me so much that it continues to make me break out into a cold sweat at the mere mention of its name....What I'm talking about has thousands of people gripped in fright, so I'm not alone...yes, it's true, you know of what I am speaking... in your mind you hear the high pitched zing and it makes your jaw quiver at the memory. I'm speaking of the dreaded odious dentist visit.

 dun dun dun...

When I was 18 I went to the dentist for the very last time. (at least I thought it would be). The dentist decided that he would pull one of my permanent teeth because I had a cavity. My very first cavity, mind you, and he thought that rather than trying to save my tooth, he needed to get rid of it. Only when he started to pull it hurt. It hurt bad. I tried to stop him but he was deep in conversation (flirting with his assistant) who proceeded to hold my hands down despite my writhing effort to stop him. "Oh, your fine, you need to be still" was all I got. I left that day, never intending to ever step foot into another dentist office as long as I lived.

Speed up to current time... One of my closest friends works for a dentist. When I got a job two years ago that had dental insurance she began working on me. "Julie, you need to make an appointment." hu, no thank you. On and on it went until finally she broke me down with the help of my children.

So 3 months ago I, Julie Dermody found myself laying in the supine position in a dental chair. Tears, lots of tears traveled down my cheeks. The prior two days every time I thought about my appointment brought an onslaught of  more tears. My 18 year old daughter had to drive. The kids had appointments as well. They made me go first. They knew that if I had had any more time to think I might have backed out.

There I was with my mouth wide open, tears seeping from the corners of my eyes, breathing deeply, sucking every ounce of the Nitrous gas I could, the scraping began. Just writing this is making my eyes fill with water, and my insides quake. Inside my head it was in stereo loudly...scratch, scratch, scrape.... like fingernails on a chalk board. It went on a on.

My kids held my hand and patted me soothingly and softly saying "you're ok mom, you'll be fine" and more tears would escape my eyes. Even with the nitrous gas I still tightly gripped their hands while I silently cried. I was there for a cleaning. Thirty years of build up, yet the hygienist said it wasn't bad. Then came the dentist, poking around with that pointy thing explaining the bad news... I had 3 cavities. I would have to come back and get fillings. I broke out in a cold sweat, more tears started flowing. The thought of returning was giving me heart palpitations.

Both of the kids had cavities as well. They had more than me and they've been going to the dentist once or twice a year since they were born almost. My friend sweetly set up the appointments for the kids. Then she looked at me. "how about I'll just call you the day before and tell you to be here?" yep, that might work then I won't have to think about it. "OK" I said.

Yesterday morning my cell phone rang on my way to work. "Julie, you have an appointment in the morning at 8:30" ....silence.... chirp chirp chirp .... "You OK?" concern in her voice brought me back to reality. Yes, I'll be there. Inside I was quaking. The tears started filling my eyes. "The Doctor said you can take a valium if you would like" OK... I might do that. I called my daughter and informed her that she needed to be available to take me to the dentist the next morning. "Oh, momma.." she said with concern... "You'll be ok"....

I prayed most the night and  remarkably God comforted me enough that I did not feel the need to take a pill that would knock me out. I didn't even cry when we went into the office. (this is a first for me). I did however experience shaking in my bones as I walked back into the room with the chair. It was like taking the walk of death. I know, my drama queen is expressing herself. But it was scary.

They sat me down and immediately began the Nitrous Gas. "Breathe Deeply" I thought to myself. Soon I was floating, feeling no pain and it was a nice place. Until they stuck a rubber block in my mouth and began the drilling. My heart began to get more rapid in its beating. I could feel the beads of sweat spring out on my forehead. On and on and on it went. Zing zing zing zzzzzzing.... then the dentist proceeds to tell me she has to get the "big gun" out. OH MY GOODNESS! I felt the vibrations all the way to my eye sockets. It sounded like she kept hitting the wrong area and I was concerned that my teeth were going to crack. I don't even want to mention the smell. It was horrible!

I was never so thankful than when she said "OK that'll do it" ... she then began to fill the holes she drilled out. They let me sit there for 10 minutes just breathing Oxygen. My kite flying body needed to come down off its high. I needed to walk out of the office not be carried. My jaw fills heavier. I know I must be off my rocker but it feels much heavier than the other side. Weird. Then I'm told I'll need to come back for the other side. I think I glared at my friend. I love her but this is all her fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment